Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday

This morning the Nike Women's Marathon is running past our living room window. I had no idea this was such a big race. The waves just keep coming and coming. There are groups stationed on the corner, cheering them on as they make the turn; as they pass our house, they turn right and head down the Great Highway, I assume past the Cliff House and then along Ocean Beach. I took Daisy outside to watch a few minutes ago and she stood there and shouted, "Walk! Walk!" Inspiring words for the runners to hear. I tried to get her to say "Run," a word she also knows, but for some reason she wasn't into saying it very much. We stood for awhile with a father and three little girls who had signs for their mother; one said "My mom rocks." They never saw their wife and mother run by, though, and finally they left. It made me feel sad. I hope she's okay, whoever she might be. The loudest yelling and carrying on is coming from a contingency from Brooklyn, NY.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

BROOKLYN!!!!

Mita said...

Hearing about people running this marathon tired me out.

I'm out of shape. :-(

Lola said...

It totally made me want to get in shape and learn to do a marathon.

And, yeah, Brooklyn! I thought it was a cool coincidence that the New York contingency was stationed right outside our apartment.

Anonymous said...

Useless Trivia 89997443:
I read in the paper that Nike gave out earplugs in advance to Union Square hotels as an apology of sorts for the noise caused by early morning marathon preparations!

glad you and daisy enjoyed the impromptu spectating!

Anonymous said...

"CONTINGENCY"?

Dad