Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Philadelphia speech

I wanted to write to my blog today that I thought Barack Obama's speech today, in which he addressed the concerns people have over his association with Jeremiah Wright, was a great speech. I was wondering how he would deal with this potential obstacle to his campaign, and I was truly and deeply impressed by how he did. In fact, I think it may be the best speech I've heard him give yet. I admire the way he took the issue head on, trying to actually explain his reasoning for continuing to be in the church and for why he can't completely disavow Wright, instead of trying in a fake way to distance himself entirely from Wright or put some facile political spin on the whole thing. I thought it was brave. He spoke to his audience in a way that respected their intelligence--that assumed they could try to grapple with this difficult point in a real way, instead of needing some little bumpersticker answer to the whole thing, some simplified catch phrase to make the whole thing go away. He actually talked to us about what was going through his mind and how complex the issue is for him. As I was listening, I realized that I almost never feel this way listening to a mainstream political speech. He was saying yes, this is hard to understand, and not completely pretty on the surface, but let's look deeper and try to understand.

The speech was substantive and felt genuine to me. What he said about the contradictions and painful divisions within communities we're part of made sense to me. The things that make us up are not always comfortably unified, and sometimes the people most intimate to us say things that make us "cringe," as he put it, but it would be dishonest to say that they are not still a part of who we are, to pretend a total distance. I also liked the way he tried to show the context from which Wright's anger arises, instead of trying to write him off entirely as a nut case. He showed that that anger has reasons and justifications, even if he also needed to say he didn't agree with all the specific manifestations of it in Wright's sermons. The speech (the parts in which he remembered the struggles and injustices black people have faced in this country) was also an indirect answer to Geraldine Ferraro's insane comments about how lucky he is to be a black man in this campaign, or he wouldn't be where he is.

I wanted this post to be a lot better, but I am too tired now after my long day to do better, so I will leave it at that. I just wanted to record how surprised, in a good way, I felt listening to this speech-- that it wasn't what I had been expecting. I think I'd been expecting something less honest, more like a superficially indignant, politically necessary, total rejection of Wright (what most candidates would do). What actually happened, what Obama decided to do, was so much better than that. It was the kind of speech that asks that its listeners be nuanced thinkers whose minds can grasp complexities and make sometimes unexpected connections, and I am soooo not used to that after years of listening to dull, trite, talking-points oriented speeches that flatten and dilute issues and talk down to us like children.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

tonight on Jon Stewart, he humourously addressed some of the issues raised in Obama's speech--I was impressed by that, too

Anonymous said...

Lola--I'm so glad you wrote this post. I felt the exact same way. Up until this speech, I haven't been able to get on the Obama bandwagon because of what I felt was the emptiness of his "inspirational" rhetoric. This speech changed that for me ... and not because it was inspirational, but because it was honest, risky, and concrete. Even the little anecdote he used at the end wasn't sugarcoated and idealized ... but small, everyday, and genuine. The media is already soundbiting the speech and de-nuancing it (I heard this horrible rendition of it used by Fox News) ... but hopefully people are still listening to the entirety of it. Hooray for youtube.

My one questioning thought is that while he handled race and class beautifully, gender still fell by the wayside. I think our country still has a long ways to go in terms of being able to discuss gender, publicly and politically, in nuanced and smart ways. Granted, that wasn't Obama's target so perhaps he shouldn't have been responsible for addressing that on top of everything else (and, plus, adding gender to the mix may have had the effect of abstracting a discussion that was wonderfully concrete). Still, it made me think that we still have a long, LONG ways to go in terms of the gender conversation.

Love,
Mita

Mita said...

And The Daily Show commentary, I totally agree, was impressive. Link!

Mita

Lola said...

Hey you guys! Thanks for commenting. I will check out the Jon Stewart and definitely think about what you said, Mita. I wasn't even thinking about that when I listened to the speech. Where did gender come up (or fail to come up)? I only watched it once and don't remember every bit. I couldn't get past how brave and unexpected some of it was. It was focused on race because he was called upon to address the issue, of course, though it's also true that you can never disentangle other parts of identity from race. And, yes, I've also seen edited versions of it on Youtube that oversimplify it (cut out key parts) in the hopes of making Obama look as scary as possible...I liked it anyway, but I am glad I saw the whole thing.

I am worried, though, that while some people seem to have loved the speech, the Wright scandal may be hurting him in the polls generally. I want him to win. I can't help but say that a vote for Hillary Clinton doesn't equate with a feminist vote, for me; I think she will uphold the status quo, which is a patriarchal, corporate-interests-based one. Perhaps none of the candidates really promise a total break from the status quo, but something feels a little new and different about Obama, and this speech, for me, captured that sense.